Frequently Asked Questions
Choosing a product
NeoMTA Plus vs. Grey MTA Plus
NeoMTA Plus & Grey MTA Plus have the same indications for use in pulpal or periradicular tissue contact. Both products are based on the same bioactive cement. NeoMTA Plus is a light-colored, stainproof MTA bioceramic. Grey MTA Plus bioceramic has a silvery color, and is 0.5 mm aluminum more radiopaque than NeoMTA Plus (per ISO 13116 test at 1 mm thick).Grey MTA Plus costs about 15% less per dose than NeoMTA Plus, but may discolor. The discoloration is only esthetic, not functional, but may be noticed if
Doses Per Kit
The estimated doses are as follows:
Kit Size Doses
2.5 gm 25 Grey & NeoMTA Plus
7.0 gm 70 NeoMTA Plus only
8.0 gm 80 Grey MTA Plus only
The amount of gel in each kit is approximately 2x the amount needed.
Powder Scoop Size
A level powder scoop holds 0.1gm, which is enough for most procedures.
(Note: Sample kits have a 0.05 gm powder scoop.)
Preparing for use
Directions for use (DFU) & Tip Sheet
Read DFU prior to use. To obtain, visit avalonbiomed.com select resources, then Directions for Use.
A Tip Sheet is also available
Use the Avalon Biomed spatula or a fairly stiff metal spatula. Metal spatulas are preferred over plastic spatulas because they allow easy mixing and fast incorporation of the powder and gel.
• Glass slabs are recommended for ease in spatulating the cement.
• A high-quality mixing pad may be used, if it does not absorb water.
• The ratio of powder to gel can be varied for a procedure and application technique.
• Dispense one scoop of powder. Gradually add less gel than powder.
Procedure Approximate Gel Amount
Root-end filling or perforation repair (putty-like) 1 drop gel or less
Sealer consistency (thin) 2 drops gel or less
• The ratio of powder to gel should be adjusted to meet clinician’s preference.
1) Dispense one 0.1gm scoop of powder onto glass slab.
2) Dispense 1 drop of MTA Plus gel onto the glass slab separate from the powder.
3) Gradually incorporate a small amount of gel into the powder, mixing thoroughly.
4) Continue to add gel, mixing thoroughly until desired consistency is achieved.
Watch Mixing Technique videos at avalonbiomed.com, select resources, then Videos.
Mixture – Dried out
• Add gel gradually to break up the matrix to achieve desired consistency. This method works well within the first 1/2 hour after mixing.
Mixture – Sticky
• Gradually add a small amount of powder (less than 1 scoop).
• To prevent a sticky mixture, use less gel, or gradually add the gel when mixing
Application & Setting Time; Coronal Covering
• The gel/powder mixture makes delivery easy, so any preferred instrument, even a “plastics” instrument, may be used to deliver a small amount to the procedural site.
• Alternatively, use as a Vista™ Disposable MTA Carrier, Messing gun, amalgam carrier, Dovgan MTA carrier, or the MAP™ system.
• For thinner mixtures, a Dycal® instrument can be used.
• For sealer, a paper point or lentulo spiral can be used to place the sealer on the walls of the canal.
Composite or Glass Ionomer Use
• After MTA Plus is placed, a glass ionomer, resin-modified glass ionomer, or a flowable composite may be applied coronally and cured.
• When a composite is placed, etch and prime the tooth, not the mTA Plus. Proceed with bonding the composite on the top of the cement.
• The proprietary gel enables washout resistance about 3 minutes after mixing has begun. A procedure can be continued and completed after the material is placed.
• A thick mixture takes about 15 minutes to set within the tooth.
• A thinner, sealer-type mixture will set in about 3 hours.
Clean up & Storage
Clean up (after cement is set)
Soak the glass slab or instrument in vinegar or water until the cement softens.
Refrigeration does not extend the shelf life, and the humidity in the refigerator may deteriorate the powder. The product nottles may be stored within the kit box at room temperature.
• The products have a 3-year shelf life.
• Do not leave the powder or gel containers open. The powder can absorb humidity, which reduces shelf life by increasing set time and reducing the compressive strength.
• Over years, the gel will become too thin to be satisfactory.
• Avalon Biomed does not manufacture a light-curing MTA.
• Light-curable MTAs have less than 50% MTA. We prefer not to dilute the bioactivity and we want to ensure the powder is hydrated to release Ca(OH)2
Cost/Size of Product
How much is shipping?
Ground – $12
2 Day Air – $25
Overnight quoted at time of order
How many cases can I treat with the MTA Plus® kits?
About 25 cases for the 2.5 gm kit, about 70 cases for the NeoMTA Plus kit, and about 80 cases for the Grey MTA Plus kit.
What size is the powder scoop?
A level powder scoop has 0.1 gm, which is enough for most procedures.
Will I have enough gel for the amount of powder?
We supply more than enough gel for the powder kit.
What is the shelf life?
The kits have a 3-year shelf life. Don’t leave the powder or gel containers open. The powder can absorb humidity, which reduces the shelf life by increasing the set time and reducing the compressive strength. The gel will get thinner in visibility after 3 years.
Should I refrigerate the kit or its components?
No, this doesn’t help extend the shelf life, and may deteriorate the powder with the humidity of the refrigerator.
We are happy to answer your questions. You’ll hear back from us soon, usually on the same business day.
Contact us by phone, mail, email or using this form to get more information or to discuss opportunities for international distribution of our products.
Toll Free Phone: 844-MTA-PLUS (844-682-7587)
Avalon Biomed Inc.
3315 West 12th Street Houston, TX 77008